Watlington complete league and cup double with Norfolk Junior Cup upset

today 11

share close

Watlington Sports and Social Club completed a memorable league and cup double by upsetting fellow West Norfolk outfit Dersingham Rovers in the Norfolk Junior Cup final on Friday night.A first-half goal from Ben Baxter-Hunt proved to be decisive in the tight game which saw several shots, several saves, and several yellow cards.Higher-league Dersingham worked hard to try and get back into the game but the Anglian Combination Division Four winners managed the game brilliantly in the second half.Watlington boss Andy Brydon said: “Going into the league season we expected a tough campaign as you get a mixture of teams either promoted or relegated into that division.”The commitment and quality the lads have shown is a testament to our achievements, going 21 games unbeaten was a run we did not expect but the results just kept coming. “If we are honest there are games we got away with after poor performances, but towards the end of the season like most teams, we had a backlog to get through.”We played six games in 20 days and that caught up with us in the end with a host of injuries hitting us hard. To get a break into the lads before the Junior Cup Final was very much needed. “As for Friday night at Aldiss Park we knew it was going to be a tough game, but we also knew if we stuck to our game plan we would have a chance of an upset.”The lads produced a performance that frustrated Dersingham and limited their chances but we also knew we had to take ours. “With Ben Baxter-Hunt in front of the goal, there is only likely to be one outcome, although Liam Cox may disagree as he is also trying to claim the only goal of the night.”To say that a little village team like Watlington are league winners and now Junior Cup winners it is a huge achievement for this football club. “We would all like to personally thank all of our sponsors and supporters without them nights like Friday just don’t happen.”Watlington’s Dan Harpley almost put his team ahead but Daniel Howlett was at full stretch to tip the ball around the post for a corner. And from the resulting restart, Baxter-Hunt was on hand to smash the ball home to give Watlington the lead on the cusp of half-time.Dersingham dominated possession for long periods of the second half but struggled to create clear-cut chances. Watlington goalkeeper Rob Allison made a point-blank save to deny Joe Collison as the Division Two Anglian Combination runners-up ramped up the pressure in the final few minutes. The assistant’s flag thwarted Dersingham in the last minute as a fierce strike by Danny Williams was spilt by Howlett, but Plumb was adjudged to have gone too early before poking home the rebound and Dersingham’s celebrations were cut short.Watlington SSC: Allison, Berry, Morton, Cox, Fenn, Hewitt, Baxter-Hunt, Tierney, Pepper, Harpley, Dougal. Subs: Dillon, Back, Carter, Ford, Forth.Dersingham Rovers: Howlett, Peck, Chima, Fountain, Daniels, Howe, Lindford, Williams, Collison, Winner, Curson. Subs: Nurse, Harris, Howe, Plumb, Wiseman.

Written by:

Rate it