Record-breaking KES win Cowles Cup again

today 18

share close

Record-breaking KES Academy won the Cowles Cup for a fifth successive year with a hard-fought 3-2 extra-time victory over Thorpe St Andrew at the Walks.The result is a testament to the ongoing partnership with Kings Lynn Town Football Club.Principal Darren Hollingsworth said: “An incredible amount of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to make this happen and at KES, we teach pupils that success does not happen by accident. It takes commitment and drive.”Our players have shown such drive and to be crowned county champions for the fifth year in a row is beyond special.”It shows the importance of links within the community and helps us at KES to build the mantra of being magnanimous in victory, and gracious in defeat. We are exceptionally proud.” KLFC Academy director Alex Cross added: “Delighted with the partnership winning the cup again. It’s a great occasion for all players involved and credit to all that played in an excellent final.”We are thrilled with the continued development of the U19s structure at King Edward VII School, particularly with Darren’s vision and direction. “We continue to grow and we are looking forward to the relationship continuing to thrive.Team manager Danny Gay said: “As with any final we knew it would be tough. Some of these boys have been at KES for seven years and it’s a fantastic way to end that journey. “Our partnership with KLFC continues to grow and as a PE department, we are so proud of our students’ success.”KES Academy were unable to make the most of their good play in a goalless first half. The closest they came to scoring was a fine strike from Paulius Falcao hitting the base of the post.KES goalkeeper Terry Silva made a couple of crucial saves between the posts at the start of the second half before Thorpe St Andrew eventually took the lead. The response from KES was also immediate with Max Layrn drilling into the bottom right corner following good work from Joe Cole.They took the lead after excellent work from Joe Minns, who crossed for Callum Pratt to tap in at the back post.Thorpe showed great courage to redress the balance six minutes from time.The trio of Cole, Falcao and Minns were all thwarted by the Thorpe goalkeeper in a frantic last few minutes before the former saw his shot parried into the path of Tyler Reeve to blast home on the rebound.

Written by:

Rate it