play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    KL1 Radio Local Radio for West Norfolk

  • cover play_arrow

    EPISODE 35 OF THE FARMING SOCIAL HUB PODCAST

News

What you need to know about the walk me home phone service for women

todayOctober 9, 2021 5

Background
share close

What you need to know about the ‘walk me home’ phone service for women

The not-for-profit service could be used by anyone fearful while out walking.

BT is working on an emergency phone service to protect women as they walk home, which Home Secretary Priti Patel is considering amid public anger prompted by Sarah Everard’s murder.

– How will it work?

Users will be able to download a mobile phone app then enter their home address and other regular destinations.

Before walking the user would start the app, or call or text 888, which would give the expected journey time and complete tracking via GPS.

A message would be sent to the user at the time they were predicted to arrive home and a failure to respond would issue calls to emergency contacts and then the police.

– Where did the idea come from?

BT chief executive Philip Jansen writes in the Mail the murders of Ms Everard and Sabina Nessa filled him “with outrage and disgust”, making him realise that throughout the UK “the simple act of walking alone is making people feel anxious and at risk”.

It led he and his colleagues at the telecommunications company to propose the “walk me home” service, which they hope to further develop with police and others in their industry.

– Is it just for women and girls?

No, Mr Jansen has indicated the not-for-profit service could be used by anyone fearful while out walking.

– How much will it cost?

The project could reportedly cost as little as £50 million.

– Does the Government support it?

A spokeswoman says the Home Office have received Mr Jansen’s letter and “will respond in due course”, adding: “We need a whole of society approach to tackling violence against women and girls and welcome joint working between the private sector and Government”.

The Mail reports the Home Secretary has approved the proposal submitted earlier this week by BT.

– Have there been any objections?

Police Federation spokesman Phill Matthews told the Mail “anything that improves people’s safety we would not be opposed to per se” but also noted the could be issues if the system “generated a load more work for police”.

Mr Jansen has acknowledged there will likely be concerns around privacy and misuse of the app, including wasting police time as already occurs with those abusing the 999 service.

– When might it start?

Mr Jansen is hoping the scheme could be up and running by Christmas.

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

Local News

Man denies ‘doughnut’ manoeuvre during King’s Lynn incident

A West Norfolk roofer has admitted a drug-driving offence in North Lynn but denied doing a ‘doughnut’ spin.David Yallop, 38, is said to have done a 360 degrees manoeuvre in a Ford Ranger on a grass area in Seabank Way used by the public.He’s also charged with failing to stop for a police officer in nearby St Edmundsbury Road on the same date, April 16 this year.King's Lynn Magistrates' Court […]

todayOctober 9, 2021 1


Similar posts

News

Jeremy Clarkson wins prize at British Farming Awards

He praised Kaleb Cooper and other staff on his farm after being presented with the prize at the event in Birmingham Jeremy Clarkson has been presented with a prize at the British Farming Awards. The television presenter stars in Clarkson’s Farm, which sees him grow crops and look after livestock […]

todayOctober 22, 2021 2


0%