Linnets interim boss hopes to sort his future out this week

Interim boss Mark Hughes wants his players to use today’s play-off defeat against Kidderminster as fuel for another title tilt next season.

Lynn – second best for long periods of the tie – were left down and out by a three-goal burst inside 17 second-half minutes as they lost the semi-final clash 4-1 at The Walks.

Hordes of Linnets fans left The Walks devastated as an impressive Kidderminster booked a play-off final trip next Sunday.

Harriers will now travel to Brackley Town following their 1-0 victory at Chester this afternoon.

Hughes, who remains in discussions with club owner Stephen Cleeve about taking the job on a full-time basis, said: “I mean, the the disappointment is obviously there to be seen. We see players in tears and they they’re down. It’s gonna take a lot of getting over this.

“Yes, it is. And I said use that for fuel if you’re here or you’re not here, use it as fuel because it’s a young dressing room.

“We’ve got a few older heads, but it is a young dressing room and it’s a special group in terms of how well they get on and you know they mix with their partners and stuff, which is great to see so.

“Regarding myself, I was going to sit down with the chairman in the next 48 hours.

“He’s been nothing but supportive for me since I’ve got it and it helps when you’re winning but hopefully we can sit down and sort something out because I do want the job.”

The 39-year-old is also confident he can keep the majority of the squad together at the club.

Of the current playing squad, Gold Omotayo, Josh Coulson, Cameron Hargreaves and Tyler Denton are out of contract this summer.

“I’ll have to look obviously into the whole squad and stuff, but there’s a lot of boys that are going to be here next year and you could see they were playing for me,” said Hughes.

“We know we’ve got players in their contract and we’ve got a really good core settled for next year and there’s obviously have to be bids for them if if if they do leave the club. So that’s pleasing for me.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of everybody, but of a rough idea of what I wanna do in terms of the squad there and and who I wanna bring in.

“But yeah, let’s just digest this the next few days, I need to make sure. One myself and the chairman have a good conversation or two we’ll go from there. We’ll let the players know by the end of the week.”

The 4-1 scoreline was a fair reflection of Harriers’ overall domination in front of a huge crowd of more than 3,000.

Had it now been for a superb first half display from home goalkeeper Tommy Dixon-Hodge then the final damage could have been far worse.

Hughes added: “The best team won on the day and we were lucky to be going in at 1-1 at half-time as they had loads of good chances and our goalkeeper, who was excellent for us, has saved a penalty.

“The second goal, you know, changed the game and gave them a boost. And then the third one quickly after from a set piece, which is really annoying.

“But all credit to Kidderminster and and good luck to them in the final. They were clinical and worked our goalkeeper a lot more than we did theirs.

“We were trying to build from the back and they pressed us really well as a two and then one in behind so a front three really.

“So we couldn’t get our passing game going and and we found ourselves probably going long too early and it’s one of those things.

“There’s probably loads of reasons, but individually, obviously goals change games and I give them the boost, the second goal. And the third goal.

“But our boys didn’t drop their head and hopefully the fans saw that. They kept trying to the 95th minute.

“So yeah, look, I’m proud of them for their efforts it just wasn’t our day.”