Dersingham Reserves are spot-on in cup final

Friday night saw Marshland Saints and Dersingham Reserves go head-to-head for the Division One League cup final.

The fixture was played at Fakenham Town F.C in front of a healthy crowd of 202 people who had all donated to the 8:56 Foundation just by attending the fixture.

The game started in subdued manner, and it took until the 12th minute for the first real chance, which went to Dersingham.

Ben Harris fashioned a shot on goal, only to see the Marshland defender get back to clear off the line.

With very little in the game, Saints player, Billy Folwer went to the referee’s book after 33 minutes with a late tackle which on another occasion could have seen him sent for an early bath.

Just minutes later, Harris ran through one-on-one with Saints keeper, Lewis Connor, only for the latter to get down well to gather the ball.

As the second half started with the scores locked goalless, Marshland were starting to grow into the contest.

Callum Rodgers forced Rover’s keeper, Callum Fisher, into a low save and the experienced Nigel Jackson volleyed over from the edge of the area.

With just 15 minutes left to play, the deadlock looked sure to be broken when Dersingham’s Chay Sharpin knocked the ball past Connor only to blaze over the open goal from the edge of the area.

That proved to be the best chance of the game and penalties were once again needed to decide the league cup winner.

With some subline penalties taken by both sides, it wasn’t to be for Marshland Saints as Sam Gowler and Callum Rodgers missed the decisive penalties and Luke Gooding hit the winning strike for Dersingham.

In Saturday’s league action, Heacham Reserves were back in action for the final time this season as they hosted West Winch.

It was the away side who found themselves ahead after just 30 seconds as Jordan Clifford found the net from the penalty spot.

Fletcher Toll was amongst the scorers for Heacham as their strengthened side ran out 3-1 winners.

KLSC FC Reserves travelled to Reffley and Rudi Stevens ensured the three points went to the away side. His hat-trick proved to be the only goals in the 3-0 win.

Reffley Reserves are still on target for the Division Two league title and proved unstoppable against Watlington Development.

They ran out 10-0 winners with five goals for Dion Evans complimenting other scorers in Thomas Edwards, Alfie Moulder and Bradley Wilson.

Anthony Carlton struck a treble for second placed North Lynn FC as they claimed a 5-1 win against The Woottons. James McGivern and Carl Wake also found the net.

AFC Lynn Napier and Clenchwarton Reserves played out a seven-goal thriller with the former winning by the odd goal.

A brace from Kevin Leggett and strikes from Christopher Cottey and Sam Woodlow secured the points for Napier.

Another team finding the net on four occasions was Docking Reserves.

Liam Spooner and Joe Leverett added to a brace from substitute, Danny Smee to earn Rangers the points.